Monday, May 9, 2016

Visual Effects is no Bare Necessary

Dearest Hilary, 

   I walked into The Jungle Book not expecting much. I did not mind Cinderella, Maleficent was just "ehh" in my eyes and I will not even go into Alice in Wonderland and I am a Tim Burton fan. I was not a Disney kid; I have always been a Looney Tunes kinda guy. I do not remember watching and loving many Disney movies til the 90s with the pinnacle of modern Disney; Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and the crowning film, The Lion King. However, I did LOVE Disney live action movies; Bed Knobs and Broomsticks and The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band rank pretty high on my favorite movie list. I walked out of The Jungle Book flabbergasted with what I saw, also, a craving to watch Tail Spin.

   Every hair on every animal moved. Leaves on the trees rustled as Shere Khan lunged at Mowgli. All of that crafted on a computer in some nondescript building by a talented behind the scenes person. I applaud them. I was transported deep in an Indian jungle, jumping from branch to branch with Mowgli as he raced his wolf siblings. I felt the urge to bow when the majestic elephants passed thru the forest. The darkness of the theatre and the detailed vistas really pulled me in. All this, in 2D. No need for 3D. I loath 3D. 3D movies make me nauseous. I did, however, make it thru, and enjoyed both Life of Pi and Gravity in 3D. Both ended up becoming Oscar winners. The Jungle Book has a HUGE chance of joining the ranks. It fills the two official rules the Academy uses for nomination: (a) consideration of the contribution the visual effects make to the overall production and (b) the artistry, skill and fidelity with which the visual illusions are achieved. 

  Since 2010, the Academy has nominated five movies for Best Visual Effects. Before than it was only three, and even before that, Best Visual Effects Oscars went to a single movie, without any nominating ever happening or no film was recognized at all. I am glad they added two more nominees; now if they would only do that for hair and make up, all categories would finally have five nominees. It makes for a neater ballot sheet. Looking at the past nominees, there seems to be always a comic book movie or two in the ranks, a outer space based movie, a subtle SFX film that might comes as a surprise (Ex Machina) and an animal filled movie. The Jungle Book fits right in. Usually these movies also get Sound Editing and Sound Mixing Oscar nominations, which I will not be surprised when/if The Jungle Book follows suit. Maybe an Cinematography nod? What is Emmanuel Lubezki doing this year? I am not thinking so much, but boy was it purdy.

   Let's not forget the Jon Favreau factor. Iron Man 1 and 2 both were nominated for a Best Visual Effects Oscar. Favreau does know how to tell a story with heart. I have yet to watch Chef (I know, I know, I will get to it, I just have not been in the mood to watch it, even tho it came out 2 years ago!) I think this is what will capture the nominating committee, or what ever they call themselves, attention. Grumpy, old, white, dudes? GOWD seems like an appropriate acronym! Favreau uses the jungle itself as a character. It has a mood, a heart beat, a feeling, all on screen. It comes alive with noise and color. When all the animals are gathered at the watering hole, I felt like I was at the National Zoo seeing all these fascinating, beautiful creatures up close and personal or at least I expected to hear Sir David Attenborough warble on about a mongoose and cobra dancing Kali's death tango. Luckily the passengers on the O line are not so fucking scary as King Louie is! This movie is not for kids under 10! I had to check my seat after that temple chase for any moist spots. (Laura, if you are reading this, I did that for you.) Also, Richard Parker is no match for Shere Khan. Which, is another thing to add to the heap of reasons that The Jungle Book will be nominated for an Oscar. Life of Pi = Animals = Oscar. Rinse and Repeat.

   Oh, I cannot forget to talk about voice overs for a second! Ever since watching Finding Nemo, I have thought the Academy should recognize voice acting. Another award to add onto the time of an already universally joked about long running time, you say? They have the ANNIE awards for that stuff, you mutter. I say let those talented folks behind the microphone stand out once and for all. Leaving voice actors and stunt actors out of the recognition of an Oscar is a slap to the face of the trade. I hope one of these years one or both of these groups, during their acceptance speech, will have the pleasure of being player off by the Oscar Orchestra. In The Jungle Book, ScarJo's enactment of Kaa was sweet and smooth, but full of power and danger. I wanted more of that scene or maybe it was just her voice what hypnotized me into wanting more. She lulled me into a sense of safety, just like she did with Mowgli!

   Now the red flower is in your hands, Hilary. Set a few things ablaze!

Cheers,
Stephen
   



  

No comments:

Post a Comment