Friday, September 2, 2016

The reviews I chose not to make

Dear Stephen:
I made a choice this summer.  

It wasn’t intentional or done with great purpose, but as we come to the end of the summer, I realize it was one I made.  I chose not to see any movies. 

You and I started this blog because not only do we love movies, but we see a lot of movies (although I never see as many as you do, I still see more than the average entertainment consumer).  However, this summer I stopped.   Whenever I had a free chunk of time I found myself watching tv, reading, or something else rather than heading out to the cinema.

Part of this was that I faced two job changes, both with commutes of an hour or more each day, that is eating away at some of the free time I enjoyed in the past.  But part of it was that I couldn’t find a compelling reason to go out.  I can’t recall a single movie all summer that someone said to me “YOU MUST SEE THIS!”

Ghostbusters: support-women-but-otherwise-tepid
Jason Bourne: not-like-the-originals
Café Society: Lost-his-touch
The Lobster: not-for-you
Suicide Squad: don’t-waste-your-money

What happened?

I’ve talked to you about the blurring of tv and film mediums.  To be frank, this summer was spectacular for the small screen.  From ESPN’s OJ: Made in America to HBO’s The Night Of to Netflix’s Stranger Things, tv was able to produce the highest quality in multiple genres.  When Hollywood continues to churn out under-performing franchises and creative duds, streaming platforms have pushed tv to further than it has ever gone before.

ESPN’s OJ: Made in America actually proves that movies still matter.  This could have easily been (and I can’t believe it isn’t) a tv documentary.  But ESPN felt that when it comes to the top prestige in filmmaking, “films” not programs still rule the world. 

While I didn’t see anything, I know you did.  What was your takeaway from the last few months?  What were some of your highs and lows?  Will any of it matter come January?

The start of Labor Day weekend is here.  The Telluride Film Festival is kicking off.  Summer Movie Season is officially over.

Let the real Oscar games begin…

Your friend till the end,

Hilary

No comments:

Post a Comment